Sunday, April 1, 2012

Am I Funny?

My boy is growing up faster than I can keep up.  His language seems to be advancing like his cells split in the womb: Exponentially.  One word leads to another leads to a concept leads to insight.  I am amazed and scared.

It's these milestones that seem to rush upon us after hard work on his part - to communicate, to listen, to control his new-found powers.  Like a band trying to write songs together and play together tightly, such is this little boy struggling to grow up and fit into the world of his limited understanding.

It has become very important to him that he be "funny" these days.  After doing something "right" or novel, he asks "Am I funny?" or "Is that funny?"  in his tiny, clear voice.  We are struggling not to just say "yes, very", and rather answer appropriately depending on the situation.  For example, when he comes down the stairs and notes to us that he's grabbed the rail, then asks "I'm funny?" - we say, "No, baby, not funny, but certainly smart and prudent."  But we laugh , too.

We've decided that "funny" means "good" or "approved" to him, and we're trying to not only teach him the actual meaning of "funny" (which he really IS, by the way) but also to learn other questions to ask.

When I first played in a band, I was told that if I asked if I'd played a song well, I already knew the answer...I see that as true, but I also see the value in affirming to my loved ones that yes, they actually ARE funny...er, loved.

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm missing him so badly! How is he doing? Better?
    Nas, you are such a good writer, and a wonderful Daddy, and an awesome husband. also I'd like to tell you that you have been an outstanding son! And you are funny!

    ReplyDelete